19 May 2011

Penises on the Ballot in San Francisco

An initiative that, if passed, would ban circumcisions within San Francisco city limits, even for religious reasons, has qualified for this November's mayoral election ballot.

Ok, I understand the arguments against circumcision, but as progressives, why would we demand the government keep their hands off a woman's body only to turn around and vote FOR something like this?

This is tricky. Unless it is for religious reasons, parents shouldn't be making this decision for their boys; and even in the case of religion, I am not entirely convinced it should be done, as I find it irrational to do things for purely religious reasons. But to have the government mandate a ban - let alone the SAN FRANCISCO government - that I can say, with 100% certainty, I am against.

No comments:

Post a Comment